Thursday, May 17, 2007

Because Northern Michigan is Excruciatingly Beautiful

This is a picture of the Charlevoix Bridge by some kid I do not know. Per Google Images, his name is Ryan and he is age 10. The reason I put this picture up is because pictures of the real Charlevoix in Northern Michigan are too beautiful and they make me hurt a little. I'm at a difficult point in my life. Having just finished school, I am like this little boat under the bridge, waiting to cross and enter into deeper, scarier, unproven waters. (My education prepared me for that simile). I don't know what's next. But I do know that the likelihood of ever making enough money to live in a beautiful area like Charlevoix is minimal at best.

Here's the other reason I would like to live in Charlevoix. It is adjacent to Horton Bay where Hemingway spent many of his summers. His sister, in fact, still lives there on Walloon Lake, which you might know about if you saw that very bad movie with Sandra Bullock and Chris O'Donnell.
Every year on the Fourth of July, Horton Bay has a very small parade. It is generally themed, very short, and put on by the locals. Imagine a parade in Sicily, Alaska run by such colorful characters as Holling Vincoeur and Maurice Minnifield. It's like that. Here's a picture when the theme was to elect a dog named Hobie:

Now come on. Wouldn't you like to live in a place like that? Yeah. Me, too.

1 comment:

Foxygen said...

CBS needs to bring back Northern Exposure. That's the only way to save that craptastic station.

My dad's side of the family has a reunion on Walloon Lake every couple years. It's one of my favorite things in the world. I'm going to miss it this year, and that makes me sad.